Thursday, August 28, 2014

Yellow Tomato and Corn Salsa

I had a lot of tomatoes to process this weekend.  I put up four quarts of amish paste but I had  just as many delicious German Yellows to do something with too.  I had stopped by the farmer's market in the morning and picked up the final two dozen corn cobs to put up (7 dozen in total this year) so I had gorgeous tomatoes and corn to work with this weekend.

I opted for a recipe from Preserving Natures Bounty by Frances Bissell and after putting up 5 half pint jars of the stuff, I have tweaked the recipe a bit to serve my tastes.  Its a bit of a strange book in that there are lots of photos but its all of ingredients rather than finished products.  Since I eat with my eyes, I prefer pictures of the finished product but beggars cant be choosers I suppose and I am pleased with the way the salsa turned out.  My amended recipe is below.


Yellow Tomato and Sweet Corn Salsa
1 large onion chopped
1 T oil
1 lb yellow tomatoes seeded and chopped
1 poblano seeded and chopped
1 jalapeno chopped (seeds in)
1 c cider vinegar
1/2 c sugar
1/2 water or tomato juice
 1/4 c cilantro leaves
1/4 c mint leaves
1 t salt
1 t black pepper
4 ears of sweet corn cut from cob

Saute onion in oil until soft.  Add tomatoes and chilis.  Add vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and corn and simmer for 25 minutes.  Add cilantro and mint and stir to combine.

Pour salsa into jars, wipe rims, and process in water bath canner for 15 minutes.  Eat with everything. :)


1 comment:

  1. Stopping by from Green Thumb Thursday // Very cool recipe! I was so excited to see that it's safe for water bath canning. I'd always been told that tomatoes require a pressure canner, but I've seen more + more people online canning their tomatoes with a water bath canner. I'll have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete