Monday, August 25, 2014

Pantry Dinner: Pasta with Tuna and Peas

It was hot out today and the sun was shining so I opted to sit outside for dinner.  I donned my mosquito gear (light long pants and a light long sleeved button down) and headed outside with the hounds and a glass of wine.

Not 60 second after I took the photos of dinner did a branch fall from the sky not all that far from my head.  The dogs freaked out and I looked across the yard through the suddenly whipping branches and the sky was dark as night.  We three, glass of wine in hand, headed back inside.


My husband is at work tonight but we both need lunch for tomorrow (aka. leftovers) so I threw together something easy that involved minimal cooking.  When some asks what my go to meal is, and its the summer, this isnt it, but its damned near close (my real go to meal any time of year is black beans, corn, peppers, taco seasoning, and tofu with either rice or tortillas - my husband and I call it "backup dinner.")  This meal is delicious and its actually better the next day.  Its good enough to bring to a gathering or picnic event and it stores very well.  Plus the cats love it since they get the tuna water.  Yum!

Pasta with Tuna and Peas 
1 pound pasta
3 small cans of tuna drained for the kitties(or two big cans)
1/2 package of frozen peas
1/2 red onion diced
1 clove garlic sliced thin
peel of one lemon chopped (I would say zest, but I like the bitter edge the actual peel gives the dish)
juice of one lemon
splash or two of red wine vinegar
1 tsp red pepper flakes
black pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup loosely packed parsley chopped
feta crumbles (optional but awesome)

While the pasta is boiling add all the ingredients to a large pasta bowl and stir.  No need to thaw the frozen peas since the cooked pasta will handle that when poured over the top.  Toss the sauce with the hot pasta until pasta is thoroughly coated with all the good stuff.  You can either eat it room temp or cool it down in the fridge to serve as a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment