Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Red Heart Plum Jam

**This is a lost post so you will just have to excuse the references to fresh corn!**

For as much fun as I make of the farmer's market in town (they have two booths that sell tie-dye, one that sells gluten-free brittle (ya think!), and only about 4 actual farm stalls, I still manage to do fairly well when I need to buy produce.  I got corn for $3.50 per dozen and it was delicious.  I bought boston pickling cucumbers when mine were just eeking along. And, best of all, last week I bought 10 pounds of plum "seconds."

Seconds are the fruit that are either not ripe enough, too ripe, or somehow marred but totally edible that the farmer cant sell at the regular stand because they arent pretty enough.  Basically its ridiculous, but sometimes they will sell them to you for less.  In this case plums were going for $4 per pound but I got my seconds for $2.  I got 10 pounds of gorgeous and tart Red Heart plums for $20.  It was a steal.

I turned the 10 pounds of plums into 3 pints and 7 half pints of the most gorgeous jewel colors jam.  the red interior of the plums didnt darken at all while they cooked down and the jam set perfectly.  I added some star anise to give it a little exotic hint and to leave people guessing.  If you can get your hands on some
Red Heart plums, I serious recommend buying them all!

Red Heart Plum Jam with Star Anise
4-5 cups Red Heart Plums pitted and chopped
1 tsp calcium water
1 tsp Pomona's pectin
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 c sugar (adjust to taste)
4 star anise

Place chopped fruit in non-reactive container with lemon juice and 1 cup of the sugar and leave in the fridge overnight.

Heat the jam pot and toss in the star anise.  Toast until aromatic.  Add the chopped fruit and all the juices.  Boil until reduced and add the calcium water.

Combine the remaining cup of sugar with the pectin and slowly add to the fruit while stirring vigorously.  Bring to a rolling boil for 2 minutes to allow pectin to dissolve.

Remove from heat and add to canning jars.  Process in water bath canner for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment