Friday, August 1, 2014

Weekly Menu 2


This week’s menu wasn’t as well planned and was a bit thrown together but nonetheless less delicious and healthy (mostly). 
Cheddar and Salami Sandwiches on a Pretzel Roll
This week we added roasted red peppers and pickles to the sandwich to make it a more rounded meal.  In my husband's opinion Friday nights aren't Friday nights without these pretzel roll sandwiches.
These squash were
 in multiple meals
this week
Mint and Squash Goat Cheese Pizza

We made a whole wheat pasta dough based on this recipe and topped it off with a fresh mint and garlic oil, beet greens, yellow squash, and goat cheese.  Delicious!

Vegetables in Peanut Sauce with Noodles
The fresh Siam Thai Basil is really getting put to good use this season.  I blended some up with a garlic clove, lemon grass, ginger, coconut milk, white wine, jalapeno, fish sauce, and creamy peanut butter.  Before adding the sauce to the pasta, I sautéed some onions, carrots, celery, yellow squash, red bell pepper, and purple Cherokee tomato in coconut oil.  I poured all this over spaghetti was a hearty dinner.

These giant heirloom tomatoes finally ripened!
Fresh Tomato Pesto Pasta
Our garden produced some giant German Yellow and Purple Cherokee tomatoes that I did not want to go to waste.  They got chopped up to top a pesto pasta made with our freshly harvested basil. 

Spinach, Black Bean, and Corn Enchiladas
We combine home cooked black beans with our frozen corn (the last of the corn from 2013), frozen spinach, red onions, homegrown tomatoes and jack cheese.  These ingredients get rolled into spinach tortillas and topped with enchilada sauce and more cheese.  We eat this at least once a month so enchilada sauce, both red and green, is something I am looking to can this year.

Black Eyed Pea Poutine
Cravings got the best of me the other day while at Trader Joes.  I should know better than to walk down their freeze section when I don’t actually need anything in that isle!  The garlic fries caught my eye so I bought two bags, of course.  While the fries baked, I sautéed the provided garlic sauce with home cooked blacked eye peas, parsley, and thyme.  I loaded half the fries onto a plate, scooped the garlicky black eye peas over them and topped it all with lovely cheddar.  This was my version of a hearty poutine and the best thing is the second bag waiting for me in the freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment