Monday, June 23, 2014

Our Current Homestead

I reread the original post for this blog and find it incredible that 20 months have past since I wrote those words.  Incredible that it has all passed in the blink of an eye, just a few breaths.  I did make it back to my quarter acre in northern Indianapolis and actually have made considerable progress in my self-proclaimed goal of creating a homestead and living a more sustainable life.


I dont have hens (against City ordinance) and I havent planted any apple trees yet (just blueberry bushes), but I have put up my first homegrown tomatoes, taught myself how to make the most delicious jam, completed two quilts, started seeds, and built, installed, and planted 15 raised beds!  It has been 20 months of firsts and I have a strong foundation of skills to build on for this growing season.

That green patch of grass that was my front side yard is now home to my garden.  It is filled with high hopes, lots of love (and sweat), and a glorious array of vegetables.  I may have been a tad overly optimistic in some cases (okra!) and a tad pessimistic in others (I didnt really think all 12 jalapeno plants would survive!), but this is an educational journey and I am loving the lesson.

I have direct sowed the following: Detriot Dark Red Beets, Lutz Salad Leaf Beets, American Purples Top Rutabagas, Chinese Kale, Shanghai Green Bok Choy, Menlo Spinach, Collard Greens, Kale, Ianto's Fava Beans, Henderson's Lima Beans, Chinese Long Red Noodle Beans, 12-row Bantam Yellow Corn, Giant Indian Corn, Dill, Lettuce Leaf Basil, Siam Thai Basil, Muncher Cucumbers, Purple Fingerling Potatoes, Russet Potatoes, and a multitude of flowers (including sunflowers!).


I have transplanted the following that I started from seed: 4 Black Plum Tomatoes, 2 German Yellow Tomatoes, 2 Purple Cherokee Tomatoes, 8 Amish Paste Tomatoes, 4 Straight-neck Yellow Summer Squash, 2 Whopper Eggplants, 2 Fairytale Eggplants, 12 Jalapenos, 6 Habaneros, 6 Marconi Peppers, 4 Maule's Hot Red Peppers, 3 Pepperoncinis, 2 Cayenne Peppers, 4 Poblanos, 10 Japanese Sweet Potato Starts, 3 Long Island Cheese Squash, 3 Red Kuri Squash, 2 Omaha Pumpkins, 2 Thai Melons, and 2 Sweet Passion Melons.

Yeah, its a bit intense, or at least it will be when everything starts to get ready for harvest.  At the moment, everything is full of promise.  The plants are large enough that they most likely will not die and nascent fruits are forming.  It looks like the winner in the race will be the summer squash as I dont like to let them get too big and they are already sprinting towards 3 inches.  Oh the plans I have for all this food!


1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see your harvest! You planted a great variety of stuff.

    ReplyDelete